So this week has been awesome and frustrating all at the same time, lots of little jobs to do which are necessary but don’t really contribute to the overall feeling of being nearly there. We have sanded (again) filled holes (again) sanded (more fun the third time around) and primed in the bedrooms and painted the first coat on our bedroom!
I will be painting the second coat today and starting the first coat in the guest bedroom too. The colour is grey owl which was that first grey that I loved right back in the original post and I still love it, it’s so fresh and airy after the dark chocolate brown and taupe-y colour which was on the walls before.
We also started painting the vanity for our oh-so-nearly finished beautiful bathroom! We picked a deep hunter green for the first coat and we will be painting the top coat a light creamy grey to go with our tiles, we will then distress the piece along the straight edges so the green peeks through and the inside of the drawers will also be that deep green colour.
Paul had set it up for us with our gorgeous tile so we could get a feel for how it’s going to look soon.
We had some unexpected guests and were so happy to have something to show at last! Our first guest was somewhat unwelcome, a woodpecker working his way through our wood siding, Jeff will need to fill in the neat little hole and it’s definitely reason to think about re-siding the whole house (next year) in something a little more nature-proof. I will take some photos of the hole and post them next time.
Here’s Jeff working on it late last night.
We did lots and lots of research into what kind of paint we were after and the style and look of the finish and decided to go with milk paint from Homestead House Milk Paints which is a Canadian company specialising in Milk Paint. This type of paint is super interesting and fun to work with, it comes in a powder form :
Which you then have to mix with water and and a little bonding agent (if you’re using it on finished wood). It feels like a science experiment:
You leave it for a few minutes to combine and then paint it on any surface. Easy! It’s wonderfully pigmented and deep and very matt in texture:
Jeff finished the first coat last night and we have two more to do, inside the drawers the green needs one more coat and the outside will need two coats of the grey we picked but here’s how it looks now:
We spent a not inconsiderable amount of time fretting over the oddly coloured frame for our closets in the bedrooms, they were this super orange bronzed metallic colour and try as we might they would not come apart, we lifted, unscrewed, shook, kicked and scowled menacingly at them but they are solid and made to never ever be taken apart. After we discovered that we would actually have to dismantle the entire track system to get the doors off much grumpiness ensued. Then I realised that the colour was spray painted on and could be rubbed off with a brillo-pad and lots of elbow grease so I tried it:
The colour underneath is a brushed pewter, thank goodness. It is going to take a day’s work to get all the bronze off but new closets of this size cost an absolute fortune and so I’m happy to do it!
That’s all the updates for now really so let us know what you think in the comments, we do read them all, promise! Can’t wait to be in the house with internet so we can update you all on our finishing touches.