Again, we want to apologize for the lack of posts lately. I’m not sure what’s going on with our internet connection lately, but we’re either working at our jobs or working on the house and don’t have the time to call our internet providers to sort it out. We’re still paying them full price, though. Where’s the justice?
On top of that, it’s almost as if the house is a tin fortress as I get very little mobile and data reception when I’m in or around the house. Five meters away and the reception is perfect, but that puts me either in the middle of the street or in thick, mosquito-infested brush. Yet another thing we don’t have time to sort out at the moment.
That aside, let’s move on.
We uncovered a few mysteries the other day; mysteries that intrigued me from day one. First, the beadboard in the lower level.
The beadboard wasn’t on very well. It was being held up (poorly) with some finishing nails and some sort of glue. In most places, the beadboard was already lifting off of the walls. I barely used any tools for this; I just started ripping it off with my bare hands. I definitely figured that the beadboard was covering something, but what were the previous owners hiding?
Well ok. That’s sort of interesting. The hole (which was originally covered with cupboard doors) is just a sort of cubby/storage area. It’s a little (approximately) 3′ x 4′ section under the top-level stairs. We haven’t really decided how we’re going to use it yet, but that wasn’t the interesting part. Below the cubby hole was a sheet of plywood held in place with drywall screws. Based on it’s placement, we figure it was used as an access to the crawlspace. We haven’t taken the board off the wall yet to try it, nor have we decided whether or not indoor access to the crawlspace is at all useful. This will be the last room we finish renovating, so we have some time to figure out what we’re going to so with the walls.
For the next mystery, I present the living room floor.
As you can see, the whole floor was carpeted apart from a 8′ x 4½’ section of laminate in the corner. We started to speculate what happened there to justify putting laminate in such an odd manner. I eventually figured it was the location of an old fireplace. It may be hard to tell in the image above, but it seems as though the ceiling had a square hole that was patched directly above the center of that laminate section, which I figure was the location for the chimney, and the section of laminate would have been the size of the hearth. If that’s the case, there may be some remnants of it, like a brick outline, or evidence of the flooring being reinforced.
Let’s find out.
. . . and . . .
. . . it’s . . .
. . . nothing.
Well that was a bit of a let-down. It seems like some of the surprises with this house is that there aren’t many surprises.
Just a quick update on the kitchen; the last time you saw it we were smashing off the tiles that seemed to be put up with Super Glue®. Well the tiles are off.
This gave us an opportunity to tighten the vapour barrier, and gave Dad a chance to sure-up some of the electrical work.
Above is the current state of the kitchen. Laminate floor is taken up, and our wall is boarded up. We’re ready for the counter top and tile. Then we just need to paint and lay the floor. Whoa – we still have a lot of work to do.